Why Use PCMs?
Phase change materials are unique in that they provide a completely passive thermal regulation system. In other words, no electricity or power of any kind is necessary to create a real reduction or increase in temperature. In addition, PCMs have the advantage that they can be used over and over again.
What does this mean to the user? It means:
- Substantial energy savings to owners when used in the construction of buildings and structures.
- Small electronic devices, such as laptops and smart phones, can be cooled where space for active cooling systems such as fans is not available.
- High performance textiles can and have been developed that can provide thermal regulation in such diverse areas as active wear apparel, hospital linens, outdoor gear, infant car seats, etc.
- A better night's sleep through thermally regulated mattress, pillows, and other bedding products.
- Peace of mind through use of shipping containers that keep pharmaceuticals, vaccines, and food products at the right temperature during transport.
- Cooling and heating relief in remote locations without access to electricity.
- Heat storage and release in conjunction with solar energy systems.
The benefits and uses of PCMs are limited only by the imagination.